Beauty Intelligence: Defined Brows
Brows are the unsung heroes of our beauty. Structuring our face and framing our eyes, they can completely transform our appearance.
Brows that are out of control, or that are non-existent, can be a real beauty bugbear, one that many of us really struggle with. Also, as we grow older, our brows may become patchy or sparse, as our hormone levels change. It can feel like an eyebrow minefield!
Fortunately, creating the perfect brow tint and shape is possible with makeup. Good brows enhance your look beautifully, defining and lifting your features, and even creating a more youthful appearance.
Discover how to enhance your natural brows with our Brow Design and build your beauty intelligence with tips and tricks from our senior makeup artists.
Brow Design - Why Pomade is Perfect
Our favourite brow makeup is Brow Design, an easy-to-use gel-creme pomade that shapes and positions the hairs where you want them, lending a balanced tint that looks effortlessly natural.
Whereas some brow pencils only tint the skin, Brow Design tints the skin and the brow hairs themselves to create a natural, 3D effect.
What's more, the long-wear, smudge-proof and light formula is sheer, buildable and easy to use and available in 4 shades for all hair colours.
How To Apply Brow Design
Every pot of Brow Design comes with a miniature firm angled applicator to apply the pomade quickly and easily. But for exceptional, professional results and a makeup artist finish, apply with our Angled Eyebrow Brush. This will make creating a sleek and sculpted look even easier. Brow Design is available to purchase together with this brush at a discount.
Apply Brow Design with a gentle flicking motion to create tiny, hair-like strokes that will create a realistic and natural result. You do not want to fill your brows in with one single, continuous stroke as this will look too heavy.
Application Tips From The Professionals
Our makeup artists share these nifty pointers that can make brow makeup a lot easier.
- Brow makeup does not need to be applied to the whole brow, it can be pinpointed for a natural look. With this in mind, tend to your sparse spots first, with the aim of matching them to the areas where there is definition already. If you go over existing definition, you may end up with a brow that is too strong.
- Pick a shade of Brow Design that is the closest to your brow hairs or one shade lighter for the most natural looking shade. Don’t base it on your hair colour as this can be different from your brows, whether you tint your hair or not.
- Use our Spiral Mascara & Eyebrow Brush to comb through the brows to put them in place before applying makeup. Then use again after applying Brow Design with the Angled Eyebrow Brush, to soften and diffuse the colour if you need to. This can help correct over-enthusiastic application without having to start from scratch!
- Always remember, it’s easier to add than to remove, start with less product on your brush than you might think and build up the intensity of your brows gradually bit by bit.
How To Shape Beautiful Brows
The most flattering shape follows fundamental rules of proportion that work for most people. The picture here shows you how to achieve the best results.
- Start. If you imagine a line from the edge of your nose vertically upwards, this is where your brow should start.
- Arch. Imagine a line from the edge of your nose through the centre of your eyelid - your arch is where this line touches the brow.
- End. Imagine a line from the edge of your nose to the outer corner of the eye, this is where your brow should end
Learn To Master Brow Makeup
Of course, these are general guidelines and will always be slightly different on each face, so if in doubt then come and see us at the boutique first. Brows form a part of creating a full look in The Bespoke Beauty Lesson and The Ultimate Beauty Lesson, while our Master Class for Eyes & Brows is a perfect lesson to focus on how brow and eye makeup work together.
Also feel free to drop in for a free 5-Minute Style session focused on Beautiful Brows, if our artists are available!
If you have statement brows naturally, and don't know where to start, we do recommend one visit to a brow professional – whether tweezing, threading, waxing - to create a perfect shape for you that you can maintain at home.
When maintaining them at home the main rule to follow is: Don’t over-pluck! Use tweezers to remove any rogue hairs but stay away from tweezing any that are part of the main brow, as these may not grow back.